Maginot Line & Verdun battlefields tour
Visit the only part of Maginot Line, that was attacked by Germany in 1940. Step into still equiped battle bunkers and explore the long corridors. Learn about the battles of Verdun which became the biggest, longest and costlies battles of WW1. Definitely an "Off the beaten path" tour !
Outdoor damage on the firing position at Maginot Line
Fort Douamont complex Verdun
Plan of the visit Maginot Line - Ouvrage de la ferte
Highlights of the tour
- Maginot Line - Ouvrage de la Ferte
- Fort Douamont
- Douamont ossuary
- Trench of Bayonets
- WW1 Red Zone
- Multiple short stops (stories, sightseeing...)
The price of the tour is 1000 Euros
- Price for the group: 1 to 7 guest
- From 6:30am to 8pm / duration +13h
- Direct pick up / drop off to your accommodation
- Private guide / driver (same person)
- Tour itinerary and flexibility to change the tour
- Spacious, aircoditioned minibus
Full description of the tour
|6:30am depart||Direct pick up from your accommodation in Paris|
|Ouvrage de la Ferte||Visit and explore two massive combat blocks (bunkers) linked with underground tunnel accompanied by your guide. Ouvrage de la Ferte is the most northern part of the French Maginot line. It was exactly here where German army stormed into France in 1940 at attacked this fotified position. Interiour & exteriour visit of the entire complex + a video introduction.|
|Important information for participants !
"To proceed from one fortified position to the second, every participant has to take a 90 feet staircase down, than walk a 300 yard long narrow corridor and another 90 feet staircase up (there is no lift). There will be atleast one-two breaks while taking the staircase up, but it is still a physically demanding experience. As well as not recomended to someone who is claustrophobic due to the close up space"
See the photo "Plan of the visit Maginot Line"
|Traditional lunch||Traditional local restaurant of sandwiches in the car (can decide on the day)|
|Fort Duamont Verdun||The mightiest of the forts surrounding Verdun. Visti of the fort, exposition of photographs & movies, barracks room, 155mm gun turret and more|
|Douamont ossuary||The ossuary contains the remains of 130.000 soldiers !|
|Trench of Bayonets||A monument built by an American artist|
|"The red zone" & the destroyed villages||Nine villages in the "Red Zone" were razed to the ground. Some positions of the houses and public buildings remain till today, but were never rebuilt - They became ghost villages that "Died for France" during the great war. Remains of trenches, craters and relics of the great war|
|Verdun citadel & the underground galleries||*only if time allows !|
|Other sightseeing||Multiple short stops while driving through the French countryside. Stop by many interresting sites & stories related to WW1 & WW2|
|+/- 4:30pm depart||Direct drop off to your accommodation in Paris around 8pm depending on traffic|
WHATS INCLUDED IN THE TOUR
- Governmental tax - No hidden extra fees
- VIP Private Trip 1 to 7 guests – Price is for the group
- Private spacious and luxury Van – Full option 7 seater mini bus
- English speaking driver / guide
- Insurance while guest in the car (transportation insurance)
- Pick up and drop off from and to the hotel/accommodation in Paris
- Full transportation including all road charges (petrol, parking, highway fees)
- Planning and Flexibility of the itinerary
- Suggestions and booking of hotels & restaurants (If needed)
- For multiple day tour - guides accommodation, breakfast and dinner are covered
WHATS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee breaks & snacks expenses
- Entrance fees to any museums, activities, visits and tastings
- Your own hotel - accommodation - overnight stay
- Guides lunch on guests expenses (20Euros max)
- Any additional or personal expenses
- Guides gratuity (optional)
- Each guest personal insurance : The guest has to be covered with his own private international travel insurance for any accidents or sickness while being on the tour as Private Trip does not take any responsibility for it
Appropriate clothing ! Good walking shoes and wind/water proof jacket are essential. In winter months extra clothing is recommended. Take an extra bag with clothes into the car - the van is spacious !
We operate in any weather conditions such as rain, wind or for. In a case of a very bad weather we can reccommend an alternative day if possible. If you can, do not leave the Maginot Line & Verdun battlefields tour to your last day of stay - this will give you the flexibility to move the tour for a better experience.
Drive to the sites takes about three hours each way. You will stop with your guide for a break on the way in for coffee & croissant and on the way back for a small refreshment. There is a big choice of snacks at the place you will stop but feel free to bring your own snacks and drinks for the day.